IFS Provides a Continuum of Home-Based Clinical Services
Intensive Family Services provides a continuum of home-based clinical services to children and families involved with child welfare services in rural Nevada. While traditional clinical services are offered in a clinic or office setting, IFS clinicians conduct all direct client services in the home. In addition, IFS works collaboratively with the social worker, the family and other significant parties to address the issues which brought the family to the attention of the child welfare agency. IFS utilizes a service delivery philosophy which attempts to empower families by identifying strengths and enlisting the family’s assistance in finding solutions that best meet their needs. Services are provided in six rural communities: Carson, Silver Springs, Fallon, Winnemucca, Elko and Pahrump.
Type of Services include:
- Early assessments are conducted on every child and youth who come into DCFS custody to identify the needs of the children and to obtain appropriate services.
- Specialized assessments are completed for those children and youth who have complex special needs identified in early assessments. This assessment process helps identify treatments and/or interventions which will enhance the developments of the children while in foster care.
- Intensive home-based family preservation services are provided to families whose children are at risk of out-of-home placement due to abuse and/or neglect.
- Home-based adoption preservation services are provided to families who are in the process of adopting a special needs child from foster care.
Once a family has been accepted for referral to Intensive Family Services, clinicians provide a variety of services depending on need. Services may include:
- Clinical intervention, in the form of home-based family counseling based on a brief, strength-based model. Education and skill building.
- Case management in partnership with the child welfare worker.
- Concrete services such as arranging for food, housing, transportation and childcare.
- Transportation as needed for the family.