



**Juvenile Justice Oversight Commission
Racial and Ethnic Disparities Committee Meeting
November 30th, 2020, 1:00 pm**

Meeting Minutes

Call to Order: Chair, Commissioner Graham, called meeting to order at 1:03 pm. Leslie Bittleston took roll and confirmed there was quorum.

Roll Call:

(Voting Members)

Present: Rebekah Graham, Jennifer Fraser, Katherine Maher

Absent: Alejandro Gonzalez, Brigid Duffy

(Non-Voting Members)

Present: Zaide Diaz-Sanchez, Captain Kenneth Young, Captain Henry Blackeye, Trinette Burton

Absent: Toshia Shaw, Esther Rodriguez-Brown

Public Present: None

DCFS Staff Present: Jennifer Simeo, Leslie Bittleston, Kayla Landes, Kayla Dunn

Meeting Minutes:

Rebekah Graham: Welcome everybody. Moving on to item number three, is there any public comment? No. Okay. We do have in our google drive all of the documents. We have our meeting minutes from our August 20th meeting. If someone had an opportunity to review them that can move to approve these minutes?

Jennifer Fraser: I'll move to approve the minutes.

Rebekah Graham: Thank you Ms. Fraser. Do I hear a second?

Kathrine Maher: This is Kathrine, I'll second.

Rebekah Graham: Thank you. All in favor say aye-
Ayes

Rebekah Graham: That's all of us. Moving on to our most important item, the law enforcement survey results. We did get some responses which is good. In our bin we have Pershing County, Churchill County, Eureka, Nye, City of Sparks; so we did get some. We are missing our key larger areas; like Las Vegas, Reno, Clark, Washoe, I mean—So we continue to not get the participation from the larger law enforcement community and I've reached out to them several times in an effort to get them to participate in this committee just to begin with. I think that I will have Eric send out a reminder to his membership on the importance of the survey but beyond those next steps we need to take what we have and finish our report. Am I correct Leslie? That we need to just get that report going.

Leslie Bittleston: Yes.

Rebekah Graham: Okay. So this was an effort to include them in the conversation and nobody can say we haven't made a really big effort to include law enforcement in this communication. So we will have to move forward with our recommendation around that. Next steps we have our Full Commission on the 18th, in two weeks. Leslie, do we have a format for the report that is typically generated from the subcommittee each cycle?

Leslie Bittleston: No we don't. This is a new subcommittee to this group so we have not provided them anything in the past. We can do whatever we would like to present to them. We can do every response on one piece of paper and this is what we found, or something split up. We could do whatever.

Rebekah Graham: Yeah. Okay. We can compile the report with the surveys that we received—and its probably a decent representation of what the rurals offer given, I mean it seems like we did get the responses from the rural counties and again, not the larger law enforcement community. So really our next steps at this point are to present our findings back to the Full Commission of the JJOC. This committee has done a good job of drilling down to the key area where disparity occurs most frequently and that is arrest. Now there's some discussion about how that happens, is it the 911 call or is it the police officers themselves or just the frequency at which crimes are committed. We don't know. But one of the things we do know is that it is in the NRS that law enforcement agencies should have diversity training and it is hit and miss happening in reality. So probably the most important thing that this committee can bring back to the JJOC is that that part needs to happen. It's in the NRS, the disparity is still there and it still exists in a pretty big degree. Training is the first step, and being aware of it and addressing it is the first step as well. So please take a look at those survey results. I'll talk to Leslie offline and we can compile those for a presentation to the Full JJOC. As far as next steps go we really should compile that report and submit it to the JJOC and I think we had talked at the beginning about getting it to the legislation as well.

Leslie Bittleston: I think we did as well. I do an annual Governor's report that's due by the end of January and this would be good data to include in that report because the legislators do read that. With maybe a recommendation from this committee on what they would like to see the legislature do based on the data. I don't know if that's a new training requirement in NRS or whatever that looks like.

Rebekah Graham: Yeah. Because the training requirement is there but its unenforced and not done. There seems to be at the state level not a lot of follow through on those training mandates that they have for the law enforcement agencies. You know, oversight.

Leslie Bittleston: Yeah. So maybe a recommendation on what that oversight looks like. Or how would oversight be provided to make sure these law enforcement folks are getting the diversity training and the implicit bias training that goes along with it.

Rebekah Graham: Yeah. So as far as new tasks go, Leslie and I will work offline on summarizing the survey results. Ill reach back out to Eric and ask him for one final reminder to his membership on participating in the survey. The Full Commission will meet on the 18th and we'll present that data to them and then our goal perhaps—again Leslie and I will work offline on a summary of this committees findings and so this committee can meet one more time to review that summary to provide any more feedback before its included in Leslie's Governor's Report. Does that sound okay Ms. Fraser and Ms. Maher?

Leslie Bittleston: And we would probably have to meet in early January because it takes me about a month to write that report because its quite extensive. It includes a lot of things. And this committee is only

interested in that one little section. But it does need to go through a review process and all of that. So if we could meet by the second week of January, second or third week. That would be great.

Rebekah Graham: I know everyone has—COVID made for a weird year. Like COVID and holidays in general. I know people probably aren't traveling as much as they normally would. We could try for that week of the 4th, I know historically we've met on Thursdays. Ms. Fraser and Ms. Maher do you have a preference as Monday the 4th or Thursday the 7th?

Jennifer Fraser: Probably the 7th would be better, rather than a Monday after a holiday weekend.

Rebekah Graham: Right. The 7th I can do 1 o'clock. Or I can do 3 o'clock.

Jennifer Fraser: I can do 1.

Rebekah Graham: Could you do 1, Ms. Maher?

Katherine Maher: Yeah. I have no preference at this time because my schedule can work around it.

Leslie Bittleston: And that's fine for the state as well.

Rebekah Graham: Okay great. We skipped ahead in our agenda a little bit but that helps us define our tasks. Any other new business? Any other public comment? And we have actually reached the end of our fairly brief agenda. I appreciate your time, we have moved along. It takes to have these meetings, to have the quorum, to make the decisions, to check in. Even though you all had to clear your schedule for this meeting its very important and thank you for attending. We cant do it without you. So having set our next meeting for January 7th at 1:00 PM, it looks like we're ready to adjourn the meeting.

Leslie Bittleston: I love these quick meetings.

Rebekah Graham: Thank you guys for checking in. Appreciate it. Bye everyone.

Meeting adjourned at 1:23 pm.